Who has read Touchy Subjects: Tales from the Massage Table??

Discussion area for male practitioners on issues and topics related to their practice.

Moderators: Pete, JasonE

Who has read Touchy Subjects: Tales from the Massage Table??

Postby peacenut on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh my gawd, what an expose of sorts.

My largest complaint is that the author seems to think that everyone thinks and feels the same way he does. He seems to rationalize his behavior in his own way. It's okay to have sex with a client because he is just a man, and men have urges.

He calls all massage therapists slaves as well.

Some massage therapists are saying every new massage therapist should read this book, and some not.

I would think the book would be a bit of an embarrassment to the author because previous to the book coming out, he was fairly prestigious in the massage and spa industry.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
peacenut
Registered Member

Re: Who has read Touchy Subjects: Tales from the Massage Tab

Postby JLWmassage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:12 am

I haven't read it yet, but with all the buzz about the book I am really curious
JLWmassage

Postby JasonE on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I haven't heard of this book.

It's okay to have sex with a client because he is just a man, and men have urges.

If that's truly what he's saying, it is one of the biggest copouts in history. It is frequently used to justify rape by blaming the victim(s).
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Levi on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 pm

I am not curious, and have a lot of other books about the actual legitimate practice of massage to read first. I am not a sex worker/slave and have no plans or thoughts of behaving in other than a completely professional manner for the benefit of both myself and my clients. Just based on the reviews I have read so far, it sounds like this journalistic endeavor will not do much to help the public perception of male bodyworkers. Too bad, but it's an uphill slog anyway in that department. All the more reason to just stay positive and and be the best you can be at what you do.

JLWmassage wrote:I haven't read it yet, but with all the buzz about the book I am really curious
Levi
Fresh Hands

Postby EgoMagickian on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm

The description of this book makes it sound like much more than the OP... sounds like an interesting read. Looks like he visited Himalayan Healers too... I intend to do so one day, and I wonder what his experience was like.

http://www.amazon.com/Touchy-Subjects-T ... B009J0N16W
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby peacenut on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 pm

The way Stevo wrote the book, it appears as if Stevo believes the way he acted is the way any straight hot blooded male massage therapist would have acted under the same circumstances.

He did a lot of expert witnessing and was a spokes person quite a few times according to the book. Of course, if he had told the people who hired him that he was sleeping with clients, I doubt he would have been hired. It seems Stevo will do anything if you throw enough money at him. Which he essentially says anyone would do, so why shouldn't he?

Stevo is now married and has two kids. If my husband wrote something like this about his past before me, I would lose a lot of respect for my husband. I wonder if Mrs. Stevo read this book.
I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but the queens we use would not excite you.
peacenut
Registered Member

Postby truepeacenik on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:25 am

Female here, but I'm reading the book on kindle.
I'm alternating laughter with cringing.
So I wouldn't make the decisions he has (and I have had the subtle come on & played all clueless), but if you take the timeframes and situations into account, it starts in the 70s, and skip over the misuse of words (one is discreet in affairs, not discrete), it is a fun read.

Do I think some bozos will read it and look for happy endings, oh yeah. They won't see it as this one individual's choices.
Do I think he means to play us all off as prostitutes? Not really. I think he's confessing, a flawed human.
And he does touch on the sex trade/slavery issue. Very important issue.

I think MT readers should assess their boundaries. Know where yours are and hold to them.
truepeacenik
Registered Member

Postby truepeacenik on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:25 pm

I'd like to follow up on this book.
After a reread, and I want those two evenings of my life back, I've concluded that the book is damaging to therapists, especially male therapists.
truepeacenik
Registered Member

Return to Massage - The Male Practitioner's Perspective