MFR instruction

MFR practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderators: MarionFM, WaltFritz

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

MFR instruction

Post by JasonE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:41 pm

I am very interested in pursuing training in MFR. I see many advertisements for John Barnes, John Latz, and others offering MFR certification.

Can anyone give me some background on the various MFR instructors and your experiences with them? I have heard mixed reviews from other sources, and would like to get more feedback here.

Thanks!
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

palpable
Registered Member

Post by palpable » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:16 am

I think you will find mixed reviews here, too. Some folks really like John Barnes' style, while others go for more of the Rolf-derived style such as Hellerwork or Tom Myers' stuff.

Here are a couple of links:

www.anatomytrains.net for Tom Myers

www.hellerwork.com for Hellerwork

www.myofascialrelease.com for John Barnes

Of course, the best bet would be to see if you can get a session from someone trained in a style of work to see how it fits your preferences.

Good luck.
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute

WaltFritz

Post by WaltFritz » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:25 am

I would concur completely that seeking treatment by a few different types of MFR practitioners is very helpful for determining what style you'd like to pursue. While similarities exist between the various methods, especially in the theoretical framework from which they base their theories, the end products can be vastly different. Add to that the variations in teaching methods/teachers.

I have found that Barnes' method often gets a bum rap in many forums, as being too intuition based, having emotional releases, etc. Other methods of MFR seem to attract those who are uncomfortable with these issues. But, its the only method I've ever studied and it is very powerful. There is a great deal of room for a therapist to develop their own style within the framework of Barnes' teachings. Give it a try.
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program

Return to “MFR Business, Marketing, Products and Ethics”