Myofascial release

MFR practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderators: MarionFM, WaltFritz

Dlmt
Fresh Hands

Myofascial release

Post by Dlmt » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:08 pm

I am interested in training for myofascial release and alexander technique.  I would like to know what some of you who use these in their practice, how much do you charge?  
"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." _ Henry Miller

jujubean
Registered Member

Re: Myofascial release

Post by jujubean » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:02 pm

I've had training in myofascial release- John Barnes method w/ a bit of the instructors own techniques added in as well. My instructor studied under John Barnes for 10yrs, but she's more energy oriented. Anyway, I do offer myofascial only, but as of yet I haven't sold any myofascial only sessions- but I've only had my office open for a little over a couple months. I charge the same for it as I do my Therapeutic/Relaxation massage, which is mainly swedish w/ whatever thrown in. I do find that I almost always add in bits of myofascial release in almost every session, it's slow work and that's a bit more my style. Not sure if I helped you any, but I do believe that myofascial release is a valuable asset for any MT's tool box.

bodyfocus
Registered Member

Post by bodyfocus » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:08 pm

iv never done one butt its my favorite type of massage to have done on me. i have a guy that does nothing but myofascial release, he is booked solid. i try to get one once amonth

movetoheal
Fresh Hands

Post by movetoheal » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:19 am

I am not an Alexander Technique teacher, but I have studied the technique extensively. Alexander is not considered a massage modality, but rather a form of somatic education. Alexander teachers in general offer sessions exclusively on the technique without mixing it up with other modalities. I don't know a single Alexander teacher who is also a massage therapist. They consider their work to be in a completely different area. A few years ago the AMTA chapter tried to stop Alexander Technique teachers from practicing in the state of New York, arguing that they were practicing massage without a license. I think even a couple of them got arrested. The matter went to the courts. The courts decided that the scope of practice of an Alexander Technique teacher is completely different of that of a Massage Therapist. Same thing with Feldenkrais practitioners or other somatic educators.

You cannot learn just a few Alexander principles in a workshop and then apply them in a massage session. In order to be able to legally offer it you have to be certified. The training takes three years, going to school every day. A session last 45 minutes to an hour. In New York City, rates vary from $60 to $90 a lesson.

Here are a couple of links you might want to check:

http://www.acatnyc.org/

http://thealexandertechnique.net/

http://www.atcne.com/index.htm

In Buffalo you might want to contact:
Cheryl I. Pleskow M.Ed. Tel: (413) 584-8793
Ki Dojo
598 Hertel Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14216
email: [email protected]

I hope this helps.

sagetherapist
Registered Member

Post by sagetherapist » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:55 am

second that one, aralia!<br>Jill/Sagetherapist

Texas-gal

Post by Texas-gal » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:41 am

movetoheal,<br><br>Thank you so much for the links.<br><br>Most appreciated!  :)

AGWLMT
Registered Member

Post by AGWLMT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 pm

I am a JFB therapist, I charge $10 more per MFR session than for massage. I discount for seniors if they need it. It's that important for keeping older folks moving!

Ami

WaltFritz

Post by WaltFritz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi,
I guess it is never to late to chime in here. I'm not sure as to the variety of professions on this forum, but I am a PT who does 100% MFR in a cash only practice. I've been doing MFR for 15+ years, was trained under John Barnes and was one of his instructors for many years. I operate in a fashion that resembles a massage practice, vs. a traditional PT practice. Rates are a bit higher than MT rates in my area ($100/session) but way under what one would private pay for an equivalent time for a PT session (if you could get the PT to stay in the room that long!).

I really like the format of this forum, vs. others that are out there for me. Feel free to fire along any questions! How many peolpe are there following these MFR threads?
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program

Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Post by Rose of Sharon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:52 pm

I am following these threads.
Sharon

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:31 am

I'm following them as well. I'm friends with a couple JFB MFR trained therapists in Real Life, not to mention my association with a few more here @ BWOL! :D
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:59 am

WaltFritz wrote:I've been doing MFR for 15+ years, was trained under John Barnes and was one of his instructors for many years.

I really like the format of this forum, vs. others that are out there for me. Feel free to fire along any questions! How many peolpe are there following these MFR threads?
As you've been a prior instructor, here's hoping you'll add some input to:
Thanks! I am following them!
Last edited by pueppi on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

palpable
Registered Member

Post by palpable » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 am

Yup, I am following as well, just don't have a whole lot to add at the moment.
Move on as quickly as you can to people who get you and what you do. -Robert Chute

WaltFritz

Core

Post by WaltFritz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 pm

pueppi,

I really know nothing about Core myofascial, so I went to their website for more information. They say nothing about the myofascial release training other than goals, etc. Nothing about technique, treatment philosophy, or background. There are so many types of work, as well as teachers, that call what they do myofascial release. My training came from one place only and I would not even try to compare this with what others do and teach. The two Core classes look like intro-type seminars. I don't see any advanced classes on their website, so one might wonder what they will do if they wish to pursue the training further.
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:35 pm

I have taken four JFB MFR seminars and plan to take another soon. It is absolutely amazing work, with even more amazing results. People that were at the brink of surgery, that have had car accidents or other injuries, that have had a restriction in range of motion going back years in some cases have all been helped.

In case you can't tell, I love this work!

tlcmassage
Fresh Hands

MFR

Post by tlcmassage » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:18 pm

I can't say enough about MFR. I took the JFB's beginning courses a year out of massage school, when a peer (who learned someone else's method) worked on me. Amazing for chronic issues!!

I also incorporate it into my massage sessions, beginning with MFR. After 2-4 years, my personal clients are finally accepting of it and acknowledging its benefits.
Insurance companies seem to more readily accept MFR as legitimate and pay better for it, as I found out working in chiro clinics.

However , since I don't do many MFR only sessions, I just charge a flat rate for my work, whether it is massage or MFR or energy work.

It is my hope to change this in the future, as MFR training (JFB especially) is quite expensive....but worth it.
Remember to Breathe - it's FREE!

Return to “MFR Business, Marketing, Products and Ethics”