Thoracic Pivot

MFR practitioners discuss business and marketing issues directly related to your specialized field. Products and Ethics may also be discussed - with expansion of these forums available upon request, as they grow.

Moderators: MarionFM, WaltFritz

Thoracic Pivot

Postby WaltFritz on Mon May 21, 2007 2:15 pm

handsonlmt mentioned the Thoracic Pivot in the thread on the Cervical Pivot, so here goes. The Thoracic Pivot is another good tool from the Chattanooga Group. It combines the tools many use (bolsters, towel rolls, etc.) for thoracic extension while positioned supine with one difference. Instead of needing to choose whether to place the roll horizontal or longitudinally to the spine, the Thoracic Pivot does both at once. A nice adjunct to the therapy session when releasing anterior structures as in the shoulders, chest wall, etc, as well as an excellent home treatment tool. Some clients, especially those with thoracic flexion tightness, need to start with this tool on a softer surface before they can tolerate using it on the floor. It also works well with the Occipital Pivot or Cervical Pivot (more on this last one later). Let me know if you've had experiences with this tool.[/b]
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program
WaltFritz

Postby Breathe on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 am

Bump to see if Walt has any comments on the cervical pivot?
abusing the word "actually" since 1973
Breathe
Registered Member

Postby EgoMagickian on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:22 am

Ooh these? http://optp.com/index.cfm/pageid/231

Never seen them until now, but they look intriguing. I'd love to hear more about anyone's experiences with them.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby WaltFritz on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 pm

The Cervical Pivot shares some commonality with the Occipital Pivot, but only slight. The Cervical Pivot has smaller nubs that grip into the suboccipital space, giving a milder version of a suboccipital release. What this tool does is to provide traction to the cervical spine via those SO nubs and the caudal portion, which digs into the trapezius. The lateral view of it shows that it is slightly wedge shaped, so as you sink into it, it separates the occiput from the shoulders. It helps to break up Trap tightness and also, via a shallow sulcus on the flat portion, centers the spine. A very nice adjunct to the Occipital Pivot. I keep both in my clinic for patients to try. Most order both once they have tried them, and they know which to use at which time. They are rather smart in that regard! By the way, the price on the OPTP site for the Cervical Pivot is $45. Check out the link via my websitesite, where it is $30. Any other questions, let me know.
Walt Fritz, PT Pain Relief Center, Rochester, NY
http://www.myofascialresource.com
For therapists: MFRmail Newsletter (patient focused newsletter also available)
Foundations in Myofascial Release Seminars
Myofascial Release Mentoring Program
WaltFritz

Return to MFR Business, Marketing, Products and Ethics