Myofascial work- painful hands?

Discussion of preventative and ongoing maintenance for Professional Bodyworkers.

Moderators: riversinger, JasonE

Myofascial work- painful hands?

Postby kneadhelp on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 pm

During the modality of myofascial my hands have become very stiff and painful at times. I make sure to practice proper body mechanics while working, but sometimes the work is just very painful.

I am worried because the past 2 mornings, I have woken up with stiff and sore hands! I am a student, so I am not used to body work and using my weight on my hands. I want to believe this has some play into it, but cannot seem to ease my worry...

Is this normal and has anyone experienced this? Does the pain eventually get better with more and more practice?
kneadhelp
Fresh Hands

Re: Myofascial work- painful hands?

Postby MarionFM on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:35 am

What sort of myofascial work have you been taught? Deep, like rolfing? Or lighter, more like craniosacral therapy?

Try to think of working with the tissue, not forcing it. Keep your wrists neutral - no bending at the wrist. Think of using your whole body, not just your hands. Using your hands is very tiring.

In the meantime, be kind to your hands. Massage them every day, very gently. Hold each finger, one at a time, with all the fingers of your other hand, wrapping them round the finger. Hold that very gently for about two minutes per finger. While you are 'hugging' your finger, think about pulling your finger away from your hand. Do not actually do it, think about it.

Flex your wrist to about 90 degrees and then move your hand around with the wrist flexed. (Think waving.)

If it hurts in treating, don't do it. Find a better way. If you have a good teacher, they should be able to show you a way that does not compromise your body.

Good luck!
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby pueppi on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:13 am

MarionFM wrote:Hold each finger, one at a time, with all the fingers of your other hand, wrapping them round the finger. Hold that very gently for about two minutes per finger. While you are 'hugging' your finger, think about pulling your finger away from your hand. Do not actually do it, think about it.

Wow! Niiiiiceeeee... :)

My fingers love you!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby kneadhelp on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:50 pm

MarionFM wrote:What sort of myofascial work have you been taught? Deep, like rolfing? Or lighter, more like craniosacral therapy?

Try to think of working with the tissue, not forcing it. Keep your wrists neutral - no bending at the wrist. Think of using your whole body, not just your hands. Using your hands is very tiring.

I have been practicing (light) rolfing, but I am just worried about waking up stiff... I think maybe I should see a doctor to sort out if it's joint related or muscular. I hope it is just overuse, and from me forcing. Since I have been staying light, my hands have felt better.

Thanks for the advice too!
kneadhelp
Fresh Hands

Postby MarionFM on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, I will just say that most doctors do not understand soft tissue. They will suggest anti-inflammatories and/or something for pain.

Try working lighter and using the exercises I explained. Some techniques are harder on the hands and you need will need to start slow and build up strength. In the meantime, don't do anything that hurts!
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby kneadhelp on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 am

Thank you so much! I have been trying your suggestions and I've been feeling a lot better. And you're right. I figured that's all they would suggest. :) :)
kneadhelp
Fresh Hands

Return to Self Care and Body Mechanics