Massage Self-Care

Discussion of preventative and ongoing maintenance for Professional Bodyworkers.

Moderators: riversinger, JasonE

Massage Self-Care

Postby Shannon29 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:09 am

Hi all,

I am a new RMT and have just starting building my clientele...first week had 6, now am almost up to 20 in a period of 4 weeks. I work Mon-Tues usually with Wed off (or 1-2 clients) and then work Thurs-Fri with weekend off. It is a good schedule for me...no more than 5/day, and I am exchanging massages with the other therapist weekly. However, I want to know what you do at the beginning and end of your day. For me, I always stretch my traps, lev. scap, pecs, piriformis, low back and forearms before, after each massage, and at the end of the day. I also do self treatments on my arms, contrast hydro, cupping massage, etc. I am hoping to get into a 30 minute yoga routine before heading to the clinic. I know since I am just starting this profession that I will be sore as me muscles get stronger and adapt to this lifestyle. Eventhough I just started, I already feel a bit of tingling into my fingers (I know I've always had tight pecs/scalenes so there is a compression there which is getting worked on)...is this common when you are just starting out to feel all the muscle soreness? What else do you guys do to keep your body in tip top shape? Whenever I don't have 4-5 clients a day, I also work out, try to eat right and drink lots of water.

Thanks!
Shannon
Shannon29
Fresh Hands

Re: Massage Self-Care

Postby riversinger on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:33 am

You are going into a very busy schedule in a short period of time. We would all love to be able to build a client base as quickly as you have done it, (care to share how you did it so fast?)

While taking care of yourself so well is an excellent thing, part of that also needs to be recognizing your limits (preferably before you injure yourself & burnout). You may need to back off on the amount of clients you're seeing, or at the very least try to vary the schedule so that you see say 5 people one day and only 3 or 4 the next. Of course this depends on where you're working. Are you in charge of your own schedule or working for someone else? Keep in mind that many employers overwork their MTs, without regard for their health & wellbeing.

The tingling you've mentioned can also come from compression of the cervicals, as well tight pecs/scalenes - so be sure that whoever is working on you works on the neck using some gentle stretching with rotations too.

Best of luck to you & let us know how you make out.
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Return to Self Care and Body Mechanics