What do you do to stay in shape?

Discussion of preventative and ongoing maintenance for Professional Bodyworkers.

Moderators: riversinger, JasonE

What do you do to stay in shape?

Postby Coach_Izzy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Greetings bodywork colleagues. As you know, our profession demands quite a bit out of our bodies. Even with efficient body mechanics and tools, the wear and tear adds up over the long term. It is well known that proper lifestyle choices, including exercise, will help us offset those situations, so my question focuses on exercise.

What do you do in terms of exercise to help you stay in shape and prolong the longevity of your career?

Have you noticed a difference in your performance as a massage professional?

I look forward to your replies! :D
Coach_Izzy
Fresh Hands

Re: What do you do to stay in shape?

Postby Coach_Izzy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Since I would never think of asking you to do something I would not do myself, I shall start.

What do you do in terms of exercise to help you stay in shape and prolong the longevity of your career?
I know I will be less likely to follow my program after a long day thus I prefer to train first thing in the morning. I am comfortable with pretty much anything but the bulk of my physical training is accomplished with kettlebells. I will add days in which I incorporate the Olympic Lifts, bodyweight exercises, agility drills on the treadmill, TRX stations, and track drills. If I'm fortunate, I will be treated to a session or two of grappling (as in mixed martial arts) and mitt work for punching and kicking. Again, the majority of my drills are done with kettlebells. I train 5 times per week and my sessions never exceed 40 minutes.

If I had a client who affected my energy (usually those who are burdened with emotional issues) I will add 5 minutes of kettlebell liting after the session to restore me to full charge and continue. I do not work out after 7 pm as I would have a hard time falling asleep later.

Have you noticed a difference in your performance as a massage professional?
I have always been active so I cannot quite gauge what it is like to go from little/no exercise to following a training program consistently. What I do know is that if I miss my training because of life circumstances, I will feel lethargic, experience more fatigue at the end of my day, and feel stressed out. Once I return to my training, booyah! I'm good to go again.

So what works for you gang?
Coach_Izzy
Fresh Hands

Postby Taoist on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

When I lived in Oregon I was taking Judo classes that involved mostly muscle toning and cardiovascular exercises. I didn't have many clients- just a few that I would do out-calls for with a half-hour drive into Idaho. A few of them liked really intense, really long sessions and the Judo definitely helped my stamina.

Where I live now, there are no places or people who offer Judo training so I just stick with simple yoga. I miss the cardio, but I love stretches and can tell a big difference when I'm lazy with it. I feel more stiff during and after sessions and get more "bogged down" by clients' emotional energy.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby kathryn on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes, I really miss my Eagle Claw Ju-Jutsu classes I was taking in AL. Fortunately, I've found a personal trainer here and we trade out weekly. For a time, I was adverse to indoor training since I used to be so active but as I've gotten older, I've found that the indoor training fits my schedule just as well (if not better b/c I'm committed from the trade). I used to trade out for ballroom dancing, Taoist, you may like a dance class (not just ballroom, but maybe hip hop or something--hey, the Tango!!) and dancing is so similar to martial arts.

As bodyworkers we do spend a lot of time making the same types of repetitive motions and it's very important that we have several types of activities to keep us in shape and moving in different ways. So, I was thinking about taking up another martial art, but have to be careful of injuring my body so now I stick to uphill long distance walking, weigh-lifting and cardio type stuff. Maybe I'll get back into martial art stuff when I'm retired from massage, I really love dancing with the martial arts with my body like that!
kathryn
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

I love my yoga ! And we just got a new dog and he needs to run so I have started running again. And I am back in the saddle again and started taking riding lessons, my daughter wants me to start showing with her next year :D
JLWmassage

Postby pyronymph on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:11 am

I just restarted the P90X program (had to stop prematurely last time due to spraining my ankle... not workout related, I did it stepping off my porch :roll: ). I like to mix up my training programs. I do yoga, been throwing in some Zumba recently, and I use to run before my injury too... now it's more of a brisk walk when the weather permits, as it's still weather reactive.

It definitely does make a difference, not only in my work stamina but in my overall feeling of well-being. I tend to have trouble grounding and protecting myself from other energies when I skip my workouts.
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. - Dick Cavett
pyronymph
Registered Member

Postby Coach_Izzy on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 am

JLWmassage wrote:I love my yoga ! And we just got a new dog and he needs to run so I have started running again. And I am back in the saddle again and started taking riding lessons, my daughter wants me to start showing with her next year :D

Sounds like a lot of fun! What difference has it made for your performance as a massage professional?

Everyone, really awesome posts, thank you for sharing. I love how many of you experience the positive benefits not only in your bodies but also in your mental energy as well.

Who else? Please keep sharing!
Coach_Izzy
Fresh Hands

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:28 am

Coach_Izzy wrote:
JLWmassage wrote:I love my yoga ! And we just got a new dog and he needs to run so I have started running again. And I am back in the saddle again and started taking riding lessons, my daughter wants me to start showing with her next year :D

Sounds like a lot of fun! What difference has it made for your performance as a massage professional?

Everyone, really awesome posts, thank you for sharing. I love how many of you experience the positive benefits not only in your bodies but also in your mental energy as well.

Who else? Please keep sharing!

Yoga brings me half way to a massage. Running with the dog makes me feel like a kid again and horseback riding teaches me how to content with another living being at a deeper level
JLWmassage

Return to Self Care and Body Mechanics