How many massages do you do per week?

Discussion of preventative and ongoing maintenance for Professional Bodyworkers.

Moderators: riversinger, JasonE

How many massages do you do per week?

Postby Leanne on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 am

I searched the boards and did not find anything on this yet. I may be search impaired!! I'm hope I'm posting in the appropriate section. I would like to know how many massages people are doing in a week.
Leanne
Registered Member

Re: How many massages do you do per week?

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 am

This week I have 21 booked
JLWmassage

Postby Ding on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 am

You may want to re-word the question to ask how many hours per week do they spend giving massages, since some people do half hour or 90 minute (or even longer) massages.

I work 30 hrs/wk at an office job, and I average about 12 hrs/wk of massage. :)
- Heidi
Ding
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 am

JLWmassage wrote:This week I have 21 booked

My total of massage hours is 23.5
JLWmassage

Postby simpleman on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:51 am

I had 18 hours of massage M-F. One of the ladies here does 25-30/week in 6 days, on a relatively regular basis. But I would say we all average 4-5 in an 8 hour day. and 2-3 in a 4 hour day.
simpleman
Fresh Hands

Postby Amberlynnmassage on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:45 am

I am a tiny practice just by myself with a room set up in my home. I have this week 2 massages. For the year i have had 9 clients last month and so far 7 this month. But i live in a small town hurting town and again i'm just by myself in my home.
Amberlynnmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby Timedess on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 pm

We just got re-opened, in our brand-new office space, so it's going to take a while to get the books full-up again.

Our goals for massage-hours are: For Hubby, 5/day, 4 days/week (roughly 20-25 hours, depending on session lengths), and for me, 2-3, eventually working my way up to 4-5 1 day/week. We are sharing our office/treatment room, so my day "on" = a day "off" for him, although on those days he will likely be here watching the desk anyway.
~Renee
Timedess
Registered Member

Postby Leanne on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:47 pm

thanks everyone. The hours are varied. It seems some are doing 25 to 30 hours per week. I may be doing that here soon as well. It is good to hear that this may be a reasonable number. I guess we will see what my body tells me is reasonable.
Leanne
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 pm

My average fluctuates from 10-20 per week, with 13-16 sessions being most common. My hours of massage vary too - yesterday I had two sessions for a total of 3 1/2 hours. Today I have four sessions for a total of about 5 hours. I would prefer to average about 20-25 per week, but my availability is somewhat limited by other commitments.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby GreenDragonfly on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 am

I'm still very much part-time so I average about 3 to 5 per week. I'm impressed with the MTs that do and maintain more. It's really important to take good care of yourself if you are going to be maintaining a heavy schedule!
Laughter is the best medicine :) It's good for the soul and great for the abs!
GreenDragonfly

Postby pueppi on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 am

I see an average of about 15-18/week, with some weeks being in the 24 mark and some being around 14.

I would not be happy on a full schedule of 25-30/week. I do a lot of deep tissue work and I know my body would not like it.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby Ankur on Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 am

I have anywhere from 12-20 hours a week of massage. This week is going to be busy since many clients were away last week for vacation.
Ankur
Fresh Hands

Postby ben on Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello there,

my total of massage hours is 30 per week.
ben
Fresh Hands

Postby jcslmt on Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:59 pm

I just started doing table work again, so I'm 'shaking off the rustiness' by working on my husband & kids. Today was the first time in 3 months and I put in 4 hours of contact time. My goal is 8 hours a week on them and I'm aiming to have 3-5 clients a week by New Year's.
jcslmt
Fresh Hands

Postby MandesDen on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:53 pm

roughly 12-20 between my two days/week at the chiro and working from home.
MandesDen
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:43 pm

pueppi wrote:I see an average of about 15-18/week, with some weeks being in the 24 mark and some being around 14.

I would not be happy on a full schedule of 25-30/week. I do a lot of deep tissue work and I know my body would not like it.

Update: For the past month I've been doing 25-30 hours per week - and, as noted, my body is not happy. :P
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby ehwmassage on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 pm

I average 26 hours of massage a week working for a chiro. I'm full time 4 days a week. I like that number and have had a few 32 hour weeks. Its the days that I do 9 in my 10 hour day that I feel a bit drained. Its amazing to me how my body reacts so differently to that one extra hour. I do 8 and its gravy I do 9 and I'm in bed at 8pm.

Eric
ehwmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby ladyships on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:53 am

I’ve been averaging around 20-25 hours a week.

If I do 3 massages back-to-back with no breaks to stretch & self-treat trigger points, I get exhausted after those three massages.

I like to have one or two hours between every two back-to-back client (or 30 minutes between clients), or else I start hurting.

I recall Save Your Hands throwing some statistic around about something like anything up to 18-24 hrs/wk being pretty safe, & anything above that, your likelihood of repetitive stress injuries goes up dramatically. But it’s been awhile since I read that, & I think if you’re always using correct body mechanics & getting regular massage (yourself), you might be able to do more safely.

(I know I need to spend a lot of my free time self-treating myself because two of the places I work at have tiny treatment rooms, and I can’t lunge fully in them, so I can’t use proper body mechanics at those places. I have so much more stamina/less pain when working at the one place where I can get into a deep lunge all around the table. I wish I’d realized how much of a problem the space issue would be before I took the other two jobs. Dumb dumb dumb...)
men have found cells sensitive to light in the hearts of snails.
ladyships
Fresh Hands

Postby athletica on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:28 pm

I average 25hrs per week. Treatments are pretty spaced out with other clinic duties. My other two full time therapists average 20-30hrs per week.
athletica
Registered Member

Postby stonegirl on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 am

These days I'm around 18-25 week. With doing ashiatsu, I can physically do more, but I find I feel most balanced if I keep it under 25/week.
stonegirl

Postby kathryn on Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 am

Between 18-26 per week. I take 45 min breaks (sometimes 30 min) between each client and schedule a 90 min lunch in the middle of my day. Because of my breaks and lunch, my work day is between 9-10 hours long and I'm often doing business related stuff during my breaks and part of lunchtime.
kathryn
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:08 am

<bump>

Please add whatever information you feel could be useful here, as I have linked this thread for someone in the student forum who is interested in how many hours per week different MT's work. He wants to get a feel for the ins and outs and ups and downs of the profession.

Thanks! :)
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby randomness0 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Not enough......typically would be around 14 hours of hands on a week but would have capacity to increase to around 20.

Richard
========
Sydney Mobile Massage - http://www.massagesydney.com.au
Remedial Massage - http://www.remedial-massage.com.au
randomness0
Registered Member

Return to Self Care and Body Mechanics