MT Cancellation Question

BWOL is a board group for professional practitioners. This section is the ONLY PLACE allocated for clients to post and ask questions about massage and related items. -- INAPPROPRIATE POSTS WILL BE DELETED & TROLLS WILL BE BANNED FROM THE FORUM.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

MT Cancellation Question

Postby twindaddy on Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi MT's,
I have been lurking around these boards for a while, finally registered when I noticed a client area. I recently had a bad experience with a MT and wanted some honest feeback.

I bought my wife some groupons to this particular MT, and the first session went great. A few weeks before the groupon expired I attempted to redeem it again, he was booked until well past the expiration date. He never responded to my requests for a solution until I suggested I upgrading the groupon to a longer massage and paying more, at which point he had some availability. That annoyed me a bit but I rolled with it.

The morning of the session, my wife arranges childcare (I was working), deals with the parking issues at his downtown location, and as she is walking towards the building turns off her cell phone. She gets the to the building, no MT. His office is locked up tight.

She goes back to get her car, pays for parking since he wasnt there to validate, and flips on her phone to find a message from the MT saying he had to cancel as he had an injury. The appointment was for noon, he called at 11:38 (my wife is always early, she had literally turned off her phone minutes before so she wouldnt forget, which she has before and it rang during a session).

So I sent the MT an email, and inquired if he could just waive the upgrade fee or offer some extra time since he did such a last minute cancellation. I was very polite and friendly, thinking he has perfect yelp reviews so he will make it up to us.

I get a very curt email reply telling me to get a refund from groupon, and that he couldnt help us any longer. No sorry I cancelled, no anything.

I was pretty angry at him, as my wife has back issues and was dying for a pro massage instead of one of those $20 Asian foot massage places that can be hit or miss. I gave myself a week to cool off, got a refund from groupon, and then wrote him a lukewarm yelp review, noting his good first massage but complaing about his lack of any proffesionalism in offering any compensation for cancelling 20 minutes before the massge. Trust me, I realize MT's are human beings and stuff happens, but if I cancelled 20 minutes before I would loose my groupon and/or still owe the full time. This may be a rude questions, but why is my time and effort not as valuable at the MT's?

So, a question...how would you / do you at a MT handle a last minute cancellation on YOUR part?
Was it wrong of me to ask for some compensation for his last minute cancellation?

Thank you! This board has been very educational, as I strive to be one of my regular MT's favorite clients! (My wife doenst prefer my MT, who is very relaxation focused vs. she likes the deep and hard stuff).
twindaddy
Fresh Hands

Re: MT Cancellation Question

Postby Pete on Mon May 28, 2012 9:07 pm

twindaddy wrote:Trust me, I realize MT's are human beings and stuff happens, but if I cancelled 20 minutes before I would loose my groupon and/or still owe the full time. This may be a rude questions, but why is my time and effort not as valuable at the MT's?

Your time ISN'T less valuable than the MTs. Honestly, if I was the MT in this case, I would have done my level best to make the situation right. (I also find it disconcerting that they were unavailable until you offered to upgrade - ugh)

So, a question...how would you / do you at a MT handle a last minute cancellation on YOUR part?
Was it wrong of me to ask for some compensation for his last minute cancellation?

The only thing wrong about you asking IMO is that the MT didn't offer it up first. If in fact their injury happened that morning (which is possible) I think they owed you at least a minor explanation and an offer to reschedule once they recovered. Is this MT still in practice?
Pete
Retired Site Admin

Postby JLWmassage on Tue May 29, 2012 3:27 am

This is an all too common issue with these social buying sites. Therapist get flooded with a ton of new clients and they get burnt out. So buyer beware, redem your voucher ASAP so this won't be an issue.

What I have done in my office is as long as they voucher holder calls before they expiration date I will honor the deal. To be honest I do get annoyed that I would get flooded with phone of people who forgot about the deal.

Not to say your wife isn't an important client but this therapist more than likely just didnt care about her as being a potential long term client. I personally would have made a swift solution if I was to get hurt because I know voucher buyers are far more likely to write a review that a regular cash buyer.
JLWmassage

Postby shivashiva on Tue May 29, 2012 6:58 am

twindaddy wrote:I was pretty angry at him, as my wife has back issues and was dying for a pro massage instead of one of those $20 Asian foot massage places that can be hit or miss.

It sounds like he acted unprofessionally and I agree with what others said. However, due to it being a groupon, he may have been getting compensation on the level of what a "therapist" at the asian foot places may have been getting and working WAY more than he was used to. After reading a lot of bad therapist experiences with groupon, I personally might cut him some slack. You could search for the groupon threads on this site to get an idea. It sounds like maybe he was at the end of his rope as far as working too much and getting paid too little and you unfortunately took the brunt of that.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 am

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19486&hilit=groupon

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38955&hilit=groupon

Here are a couple of other threads about social buying site
JLWmassage

Postby EgoMagickian on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:25 am

twindaddy wrote:

Does this MT have a written cancellation policy? I would expect an MT to apply the same standards to themselves as they do to their clients unless stated otherwise. In my own practice, I expect 24 hours notice for any cancellations otherwise full payment is due. Conversely, if I have to cancel on a client with less than 24 hours notice, I comp their next session.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Return to Clients Talk About Massage