Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

BWOL is a board group for professional practitioners. This section is the ONLY PLACE allocated for clients to post and ask questions about massage and related items. -- INAPPROPRIATE POSTS WILL BE DELETED & TROLLS WILL BE BANNED FROM THE FORUM.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby Nikki D on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Hello MT's. I've been a loyal client to a massage and reflexology therapist for two years. I've always been able to relax and leave in a blissful state, until lately. The last three appointments have been crappy. He used to wrap my feet in warm towels before the reflexology but doesn't anymore. At another session he started doing Reiki, which I didn't ask for nor expect. It did nothing for me and I'm not happy that my time and money was wasted on that. I point blank told him I wanted the warm towels at my next reflexology session and I told him I didn't want Reiki. At the last session, again, no warm towels and he started Reiki again until I asked him to stop. If he's like this with other clients, he's going to be out of business soon.

He's a nice person and owns his own practice. I want to continue supporting his business but I am so annoyed that I have decided to stop going to him. I don't want to pay good money for a session that leaves me angry.

MT's, do you want a customer to tell you why they've left your practice or would you rather they not say anything? Thank you.
Nikki D
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby pueppi on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 am

A nice simple letter could be quite useful if a client chose to leave because of something that had changed. Another good information bit would be for you to let the therapist know if the practice were to change back to how it was previously, rather you would return or not.

But, then again, many times an MT will change their practice according to the needs of the majority or the MT's new preferences. Sometimes what one person thinks is great, is not what is bringing in the clients or paying the majority of the bills.

Did you regularly refer to this practitioner in order to help them fill their business with more clients who are like-minded to you? If not, he just may not have a huge clientele base of like-minded individuals and have found a better niche in the Reiki market. Unfortunate for you, especially when you specifically enjoyed a particular previous style.

The therapist needs clients to refer others in order to keep their doors open and word-of-mouth referalls are always best. Perhaps he's got someone who just loves reiki referring more clients to him than you can shake a stick at. I have no idea. But, it could be.

But, I do not think you should pay good money for something that makes you angry.

I also don't agree with performing Reiki on anyone without asking first. I do not practice reiki, and I definitely don't want it "snuck" into a session, performed on me.

I haven't ever had anyone tell me why they left my practice, but, I figure if it is not a good fit for them, then it is what it is. I do, however, let my clients know that if they ever feel I am not a good fit for them, to please let me know, so that I can suggest someone who may fit the bill.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
User avatar
pueppi
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 am
Location: Texas / The Lone Star State

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby JLWmassage on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:03 am

I have personally never had a client tell me why they choose not to come back. I just take it as we where not a good fit.

Me personally I always ask what the client would like today. And I do my best to give them the session they want because I know clients are paying good money to see me and I want clients to feel like they got their money's worth.

Too bad your MT didn't pay attention to your needs. But it maybe a case that he is changing the direction of his practice. If that's the case than it should have been communicated much better
User avatar
JLWmassage
Moderator
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:45 pm
Location: West Boylston, Ma

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby Nikki D on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I have referred a lot of people to him over the past two years. They become his regular clients. A few of them have left his practice recently because they too, feel that his sessions aren't as good anymore. One friend chalks it up to him taking his regular clients for granted as he knows they'll come every month, so he just does the bare minimum now. Like I said, he is a nice person so I just thought maybe he would he would want to know why his clients aren't re-booking. Thanks pueppi and JLWmassage for your perspective and insight. Maybe he is changing the direction of his practice.
Nikki D
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby JasonE on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Nikki D wrote:Hello MT's. I've been a loyal client to a massage and reflexology therapist for two years. I've always been able to relax and leave in a blissful state, until lately. The last three appointments have been crappy. He used to wrap my feet in warm towels before the reflexology but doesn't anymore. At another session he started doing Reiki, which I didn't ask for nor expect. It did nothing for me and I'm not happy that my time and money was wasted on that. I point blank told him I wanted the warm towels at my next reflexology session and I told him I didn't want Reiki. At the last session, again, no warm towels and he started Reiki again until I asked him to stop. If he's like this with other clients, he's going to be out of business soon.

He's a nice person and owns his own practice. I want to continue supporting his business but I am so annoyed that I have decided to stop going to him. I don't want to pay good money for a session that leaves me angry.

MT's, do you want a customer to tell you why they've left your practice or would you rather they not say anything? Thank you.


I completely agree with you. I think it was GREAT that you told him your expectations for the next session. I am ALWAYS grateful when clients are honest with me about what they did/didn't like about the session and how I can better meet their expectations in the future.

You have the right to find another massage therapist who listens to you and responds appropriately to your stated needs. Receiving a massage should not be an increasingly stressful experience. I hope that you share this experience with other MTs you see in the future so they don't repeat the mistake.

If that MT goes out of business, it will be because he failed to pay attention to his clients. That is his fault, not yours.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
User avatar
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Burnsville, MN

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby pueppi on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

JasonE wrote:I am ALWAYS grateful when clients are honest with me about what they did/didn't like about the session and how I can better meet their expectations in the future.

:iagree:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
User avatar
pueppi
Registered Member
 
Posts: 5885
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 am
Location: Texas / The Lone Star State

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Most definitely I would want to know. Sometimes someone will say that they really like deeper work than what I did and I am happy to refer them to one of the others who definitely have deeper pressure than I do (likewise, they're not crazy about doing Swedish and I love it, so I get a lot of those referred to me). I also agree that, while Reiki has it's place, I don't want it instead of massage, when I have booked a massage appointment.

We did have someone post a nasty message on our FB the other day, she'd come in for a 30 minute massage and specifically wanted her back worked on, shoulders and lower back, and I was clear that that was what I would be working on. I noted it on her intake form and talked about it with her before she got on the table. Then she complained on FB that that was all I'd worked on and she didn't get a full body massage. I got some very negative vibes from her the whole time she was there - she just seemed like one of those chronically miserable people - and I did my absolute best to work on her, wanting to please her. But after the nastygram (which the owner simply deleted), I decided that she wasn't someone I would want to work on again anyway. I have too many clients who love my work and return regularly. I don't think she would have been happy no matter what I did - if I'd done full body in a half hour, she would have complained that I didn't spend enough time on her back, I'm sure! But in the case of someone like you, yes, I'd want to know and I'd happily cut the Reiki and bring back the warm towels.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
User avatar
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Mid Atlantic region

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby MetaMonster on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Personally I would love to know exactly why you had left and what I could have done differently to kept you happy.

Also:
pueppi wrote:I also don't agree with performing Reiki on anyone without asking first. I do not practice reiki, and I definitely don't want it "snuck" into a session, performed on me.


As far as my understanding of Reiki, which is very limited, once you are 'attuned' you apparently are always doing Reiki, no matter what. Anything your hands touch is being Reiki'ed. Not sure what the action version of word Reiki is.
MetaMonster
Fresh Hands
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby JasonE on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm

MetaMonster wrote:As far as my understanding of Reiki, which is very limited, once you are 'attuned' you apparently are always doing Reiki, no matter what. Anything your hands touch is being Reiki'ed. Not sure what the action version of word Reiki is.


If so, then it is unethical unless all of your clients (and everyone else you touch) consent to "receiving" Reiki.

Personally, I don't believe in it. I would just be annoyed at the MT who wasted my session time while imposing his/her faith-based rituals on me.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
User avatar
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Burnsville, MN

Re: Client Not Returning - MTs do you want to know why?

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 am

JasonE wrote:
MetaMonster wrote:As far as my understanding of Reiki, which is very limited, once you are 'attuned' you apparently are always doing Reiki, no matter what. Anything your hands touch is being Reiki'ed. Not sure what the action version of word Reiki is.


If so, then it is unethical unless all of your clients (and everyone else you touch) consent to "receiving" Reiki.

Personally, I don't believe in it. I would just be annoyed at the MT who wasted my session time while imposing his/her faith-based rituals on me.



I have my reiki 1 and I don't practice because I didn't feel like the work jived with me. But many times I have had clients ask me after a massage if I have any reiki training and I let them know what I have done.

I am not at all trying it just happens I guess so I think there is something to the reiki flow is always with you
User avatar
JLWmassage
Moderator
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:45 pm
Location: West Boylston, Ma


Return to Clients Talk About Massage

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest