Anyone switch your license to NY state?

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Anyone switch your license to NY state?

Postby aloha_student on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi - I'm originally from NYC but have been living in Hawai'i for some time and am finishing massage school here. Eventually, though, I really want to return to the city. I know that NYS has a very difficult process, and I've had several conversations with the licensing board and a few schools. I'm here looking for advice or info from anyone who finished the 1000-hour requirement in NYS and was then able to get a NYS license.

How long did it take? Did you find a good school in or near NYC that was willing to work with LMTs trying to get a NY license? How much delay did you encounter after you actually finished the coursework? Any advice on the process in general?

Unless I misunderstood the licensing office, continuing education credits don't count at all toward the 1000 hours, even if they match some of those required subjects. Does anyone know if that's true?

I'm also thinking of getting a NJ or CT license (which seems really easy) and then working in one of those states while I trudge through the NYS requirements. Any thoughts from more experienced people? Feel free to redirect me to another BWO board if needed :)
aloha_student
Fresh Hands

Re: Anyone switch your license to NY state?

Postby pueppi on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:49 pm

I don't have any answers, but these two threads may get you started:

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Anyone switch your license to NY state?

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 am

obtaining a NYS license is a painful process for someone transferring from another state

it can take up to 18 months and thousands of dollars

And you need to take the NYS exam once you are in state, and that is only offered 2x a year

Good luck
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics