worked on 2 MTs this week

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

worked on 2 MTs this week

Postby Bodymovers on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:42 pm

2 different MTs booked appnts with me this past week. Turns out, I have been getting alot of their clients in my shop over the past few months. Im thinking maybe theyre trying to find out why (like what Im doing different/better). Its not that I didnt do as good a massage as usual for the MTs, but I do tend to spoil my clients with hot stones & a body polish on the back, + hot towels! I didnt do any extras for them. Selfish? Maybe. I did a trade w/ one of them. He talked all the way through, and when he performed a technique I didnt (everyones different, right??), I was asked "didnt they teach you THIS move in school??" I felt like I was BACK in school, being worked on my an instructor! Maybe if this person had spent more time learning from ME, his clients would not be coming my way!!!
This may be in the wrong section, but I just needed to vent a little!!
MUCH BETTER NOW! :} :D
Bodymovers
Registered Member

LOL!

Postby embracetime on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:19 am

I hear ya. And... I will come clean. :smt077 Whether we admit it or not, we all have a little devil in us. :lol: I have had a LOT of massages that I paid for by a wonderful massage therapist (and others). ANYHOW, when I was in school, I only used the strokes taught to me because I didn't want to fully share my touch or approach with my classmates... I know this sounds selfish, BUT attendance for THEM was an issue. In fact, I graduated alone because I was the ONLY one who didn't miss ANY time and successfully completed the requirements ON TIME. I did eveything I could in class and outside of class to expand my knowledge and techniques... I also believe that a great deal of what we do comes from within us... So, sometimes things just ARE what they are. I feel you when you say that you refrained from sharing the entirety of your approach. In your situation, I would have too. Shoot! It wasn't like they were long-time clients... They were there for educational purposes solely, which in itself takes from the authentic experience. Hugs to you.

embracetime
embracetime
Registered Member

Postby terab on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:12 pm

i know what you mean about spoiling clients. i do the same. but i'll tell you, for once it sure would be nice to be spoiled by another mt. i've been paying for a lot of massage over the past 4-5 years and honestly, for the most part the work sucked. i continue to look for a great therapist who will treat me as i treat my clients. i'm almost ready to give up. i'm tired of asking for extra work on my arms and not getting it, no work on my legs and getting it anyway, time getting cut short and overall poor performance.

keep spoiling your clients! good for you for not sharing your secrets to keeping your clients with THESE therapists. however, spoil one that stops in your office to just get a great massage! ;) ;)
terab
Registered Member

Postby karmassage on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:38 pm

terab - ha! i feel the same way. i've actually considered NOT telling them i am a massage therapist in order to receive the same quality massage they would give any other client.
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi
karmassage
Registered Member

Postby fudja / aka Greatlakes on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:53 am

Yeah!! Spoil your clients!! When I move I am so getting a hot towel cabi!
fudja / aka Greatlakes
Registered Member

Postby OffIce on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:05 am

I had a massage therapist tell me he didnt want me stealing his secrets...our profession is not very professional....imagine a doctor saying I have a cure for cancer...but it is a secret...
OffIce
Fresh Hands

Postby Blisss on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:25 pm

This thread brings up two interesting points regarding working on other massage therapists.

On the one hand, you have therapists like Bodymovers described, who aren't there to simply receive a massage. Rather, there seems to be some kind of competition going on. I've actually run into that on the receiving end (when I'm the client visiting a new massage therapist). Some people get intimidated by working on another massage therapist, and their insecurity comes out as arrogance. If you don't compliment them, they'll compliment themselves. I had one MT who throughout the massage kept saying, "Doesn't this feel great?" or "You want me to do this all day, don't you?" If he had kept quiet, it might have been enjoyable. As it was, I couldn't wait for the massage to end! :smt110

I can also understand why Embracetime didn't want to share all she learned with fellow students who seemed to have no interest in learning themselves. That would be like studying for months for a test and then giving the answers a way to someone who never opened on a book.

On the other hand, there's the larger issue of Massage Therapists being more competitive than supportive of each other & fear surrounding working on each other. (Holding back "trade secrets" or giving sub-par massages out of fear they'll somehow take your expertise and therefore your clients). I've never held that value or behaved that way. Even when I was first building my practice, I didn't feel competitive with my fellow MT's. We're all so unique. Even when trained in the same program, we develop personal styles that cannot be copied. Even if someone tried to copy me, they couldn't. I have no fear of that. It's more my impulse to share what I know, than to hide it. When an MT comes to me for a massage, I give them my very best work. I want to pamper them. (I know how hard they work! :D ) I'm also happy to share many of my "secrets". I make massage music mixes that are very unique & I give copies to my fellow MT friends. I let people know how I keep my cream so warm, my room so quiet & where I bought my awesome heating pad! I've even had MT clients say, "That's an awesome move! Can you show me how you do that?" If it's a simple move, I'm happy to teach them. If it's a complex move, I tell them what class I took. Not every MT may deserve this treatment, but most of us do! Thankfully, I have a group of MT's who treat me just as well.

In my opinion, the examples provided by Embracetime & Bodymovers should be the exception, not the rule. I agree with Terab. Spoil most of the MT's who come to your office. Many of us need a great massage! And MT's who have busy practices (like me) are always on the lookout for skilled MT's, where we can refer overflow clients. Treat me well, and you'll gain business, not lose it!
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby maestra on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Blisss wrote: Some people get intimidated by working on another massage therapist, and their insecurity comes out as arrogance.

Got to admit the first time I had a MT on my table (nearly a year after graduation)... I was a bit nervous. But I gave it my best shot, the guy was very nice and it put me at ease. I have to admit, I've had several MTs on my table in the last 9 years (and only once did I have a negative experience, but that's another story).

Blisss wrote:We're all so unique. Even when trained in the same program, we develop personal styles that cannot be copied.

I have traded massage with someone who went to a different campus of my massage school... and have to admit there was much about her massage that was familiar to me. And I personally found that reassuring. Are we an exact duplicate of each other? No, but it's the closest I've ever came to receiving my own massage! :lol:

Blisss wrote:When an MT comes to me for a massage, I give them my very best work. I want to pamper them. (I know how hard they work! :D )

Actually I recently started a new job at a new day spa in town, and had a MT on my table today, who I had never met before for a 90 minute massage. I was a bit nervous. Must have done something right though, because 90 minutes later she hugged me and said, "They're lucky to have you here!" :oops: :lol:

Blisss wrote:Spoil most of the MT's who come to your office. Many of us need a great massage!

Yes, that's how I feel too. And yes, I've even given some of MT clients CDs or CD mixes that they were particularly fond of.

I'm proud to say that she was so impressed she's already booked again for next month, and she's bringing her hubby next time too! ;)
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland
maestra
Site Admin

Postby Rose of Sharon on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:50 pm

Way to go, Maestra!!! I'm glad your massage today went so well!!
Sharon
Rose of Sharon
Retired Site Admin

Postby Spock on Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:13 pm

This happened to me too! Ha!

I was getting the clients of two MT's who worked down the road and so ..yup..they booked a massage with me. One was checking me out , looking around at my things, etc. it was actually rude. The other was very critical of everything. Huffed and puffed over the face cradle position, etc.

Do I believe other MT's check you out and steal? Yes.
I wish it weren't so, but it is. I have had a number of unpleasant encounters with MT's at various venues such as spas, events and also privately, like the circumstance I just described. I have met MT's who are very territorial and seems the ego is very much in play. Shame really because it is hypocritical to everything we are supposed to be presenting and teaching, IMHO.

Anyway...can I steal your hot towel idea? :lol:
What is it that you do with them that the clients enjoy?
Last edited by Spock on Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spock
Registered Member

Postby merlescuz on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:09 am

I treat MT's the best I possibly can. They are brethern (or sistern? ;) ), and are an excellent resource for inspiration, information, connections etc. I love sharing what I do, and seek to learn from other people's techniques.

I feel that when I put out an open attitude, most of the time, the other person responds in kind. There are those who are guarded and don't want to open up, but they are few, and usually not the types I feel I can learn from anyway.

There have been times I went for treatments, and didn't even mentioned I was an MT. It's always in my mind that if they knew I was, they would probably treat me differently in one way or another. I like the idea of being seen as a regular client, although I often wonder after the fact how the experience might be different if I said something.
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com
merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Postby wellnessgarden on Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:48 am

I've worked with a lot of other therapists over the years either by trades or paying them, and I feel like I have always been given their best work.
I learn from them and they learn from me. I am always happy when someone likes what I do well enough to want to use it in their practice. When we do our best regardless, we will finish each day feeling peaceful, successful and happy!

The times in my life when I was filled with doubt about my abilities, or envious of anothers success, were just miserable, so I decided to change my mind and heart about how I was perceiving my world and over time things have changed quite dramatically. It's that law of attraction thing, it works!

Happy New Year to everyone!
wellnessgarden
www.beverlylintonmassage.com

Be Impeccable with Your Word~Don't Take Anything Personally~Don't Make Assumptions~Always Do Your Best....."The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz
wellnessgarden
Registered Member

Re: worked on 2 MTs this week

Postby pueppi on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 am

<bump>

Just writing a FAQ for my new website and wanted to address working with other MT's. This thread was an inspiration for my wording. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby truepeacenik on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:50 am

And since it bumped...
My unofficial mentor once bemoaned the fact that you will never get to experience your own touch.

I took that to heart.
I get massage that is different from mine, simply because it isn't me, and I have to stop expecting that.

I go outside of what I see as my competitive zone, geographically.
(And to the therapist on here I've seen, my not returning is economic, not a reflection on your awesome work)

My most common trade is my Thai for his Watsu. It's quite casual.
truepeacenik
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Just wanted to post what my new website FAQ looks like, since I bumped this post and used some great wording from it. :)

Q:
What if I am a massage therapist in need of bodywork?

A:
Our goal is to provide everyone with our best work, each and every time they visit our practice.

Many massage therapists are looking for a great massage and find it difficult to get what they need. We will do our best to provide that experience for you.

We will not hold-back or try to hide how we work. You also don’t have to worry about a competitive factor coming into play when visiting our office. Neither party should feel intimidated. We want you to feel comfortable.

When you call to schedule your appointment, please let us know that you are a massage therapist and share any ideas or thoughts you may have. We welcome your input and hope to create a session that will maximally benefit you.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Give everything you have

Postby holley on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Having traded massage with over 300 therapists, I stand with those who give their all to MT's. Usually after a trade, we go over any strokes/moves that were novel. The ripple from such generosity carries me thru massage in a way I am unable to articulate Somehow,they work thru me and I thru them.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby Snackdaddy on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Let me "up the ante" here. The big marketing campaign I did last year was mailing a postcard to hundreds of local Massage Therapists, telling them that when YOU are ready for YOUR massage, you come see me.
They "get it" and need it and appreciate it.
Win-Win.
I'm Eric W., in AZ. "Snackdaddy" is too cryptic, but I don't know how to change it.
Snackdaddy
Fresh Hands

Postby alleycat_lady on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:29 am

I don't treat MT's any differently than my regular clients. To me they are regular clients and they deserve to be treated with the same amount of decency. I actually think it's disrespectful to charge for the same service and give one group more than another. And if they want to learn any moves from me, I consider that a compliment. It isn't a competition. I think learning from each other is fundamental in this career.

I don't tell other MT's I am a MT when I'm getting a massage. I don't think everyone thinks the way I do and I don't want to be treated differently.

It is pretty obnoxious that someone you were trading with would be a chatterbox during a trade. That's not cool. It's your time. Once I had a MT I was working on make passive aggressive comments while I was working on him. I felt like he was trying to boost his own ego by undermining me. I'm confident of my abilities, but it's still hard to take something like that in stride.
alleycat_lady
Fresh Hands

Postby fishtaco on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:29 am

My work environment is EXTREMELY competitive, and management actively encourages it. Everything is very "cloak and dagger." Super weird.

It's awful... :smt012 The giving/sharing spirit of most massage therapists is squashed...
fishtaco
Fresh Hands

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas